To our family at The Well,
It is with sadness and true concern for each person at The Well, that the COVID taskforce made the decision to suspend in-person worship and small group meetings at church effective immediately. We are asking staff to work at home and building use will focus on virtual worship activities with only essential people attending. There are several reasons driving this decision:
- There are rising concerns from the CDC and MN Dept of Health about community spread of the coronavirus as new cases and deaths are spiking across the state and right here in Dakota County.
- More and more schools in the metro have pulled back to distance learning due to safety concerns, and Rosemount’s district has notified parents they are considering this change.
- The bishop and UMC MN Conference notified all churches Tuesday that they have dialed back their phased re-gathering plan from Yellow to Orange. This plan recommends virtual or drive-up worship only.
- To quote a state epidemiologist, “If 100 people gather for in-person worship, at least 6 are going to be infectious right now.” The Well has had several positive COVID cases within staff alone; thankfully procedures followed have prevented transmission.
- 7% of COVID cases are now attributed to community spread, which is high risk level, and group gatherings are some of the most dangerous. Places of worship are increasing as sources of outbreaks in recent weeks.
- We are also listening to our people; many have shared their concern about the danger of gathering indoors. Our indoor numbers for indoor worship are not matching those when we worshipped outdoors.
This decision is difficult, but we are confident it is the right one for The Well for the next several weeks. We are asked by Jesus to love our neighbor; protecting each other from sickness is an important way to do that. The Well’s staff will focus on livestream and providing excellent virtual worship opportunities every Sunday. Remember we are still “the church,” caring for our neighbors and praising God.
COVID 19 Taskforce at The Well